Saturday, April 26, 2014

Issue III: Concannon Crimson & Clover Edition

Concannon Crimson & Clover  [Blend]



I wanted to get this one out there early, as an example of a SPA-Only wine. I picked this one up on a whim and it’s the kind of wine that I liked so much, I wanted to try others from this particular manufacturer (which I will frequently do). The other wines will not be joining this one on the list, however.

What we have here is a wine that keeps a bit of the bite, not enough to make it edgy, but enough to cut into both the smoothness and the sort of roundness (in that it has some fruitiness but is not aggressively fruit-forward, meaning it has a nice heaviness and maturity to it, rather than tasting predominantly of lighter fruit) it has. It saves it from becoming overly sweet, though it is somewhat rich. This wine epitomizes what to me can be a lot of aspects that represent the best of what blends can have to offer. This one offers a fair degree of complexity, yet is also drinkable right from the bottle, though I’d say 15 – 20 minutes of sitting at a bare minimum before I like to dig into it or the bite becomes crisper than I generally like.

For $14 or less a bottle, this is one I generally won’t get unless it’s on SPA. While still very enjoyable, there are better values to be had for less. It’s nice to have this one around for a “break-up” wine, where it will be there to cut through some of the regulars that can perhaps become a bit of a grind, excellent though they may be and that’s where I like this one best.

No comments:

Post a Comment