Sunday, September 6, 2015

Issue XXXI: Borja Borsao Tinto Seleccion Edition



Borja Borsao Tinto Seleccion [Garnacha]

Grenache is one of those wines that I just can’t ever quite seem to latch onto, much like Beaujolais. I suspect this is because of the high astringency factor, which always seems jarring to me, particularly since I rarely eat food with the wine…or take wine with the food, however you like it. If wine and food are together around me, it is generally with the food cooked in wine.

This is one of those rare cases where I actually like a garnacha, even with the high astringency. This is a fairly rare case of a wine being excellent despite that aspect. Make no mistake; this one too has a very high astringency rate, but that factor makes it a very nice change of pace. It is extremely well-flavored and will smooth out over time, though that air time is pushing a solid hour or so. This particular one is a blend with 15% Temperanillo, itself also prone to astringency, though in this case, I believe it has added what little smoothness there is to be had here. You will catch a bit of bitterness here, a touch of berry, some perhaps less than ripe cherry, but the flavor is spectacular. This is definitely one of the better drys out there. I don’t find it particularly light or refreshing, but when I want to deviate from the soft and lush tones I usually have, this tends to be a solid pick.

As I recall, if not on SPA, this is around $13 or $14 and I definitely like those smoother and velvetier ones much more than a wine of this type, so it’s a bit lesser often I get this, irrespective of SPA, though it will show up there from time to time, so let’s go with Mixed on this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment