Saturday, August 1, 2015

Issue XXIX: Sean Minor Sauvignon Blanc Edition

Sean Minor Sauvignon Blanc



This is somewhat of a rarity; of the three wines I’ve tried from this vineyard, I’ve liked all three tremendously, so much that they all have made the list. This entry is sort of a surprise as I really wasn’t looking to add another white to the stable, having found, more or less what I want, in the pair of French Chardonnays that we keep on hand for cooking, but that was to my detriment as it became clear, from the first sip of this, that I’d been truly missing out. It’s one of those times when the liquor store being out of the wine you’re after provides an opportunity to discover a hidden gem, which this one truly is.

This one is light, lively and a bit reminiscent, to me, of the sweeter side of perhaps a sake or mead, but not to the extent of a white Zin. It does have a bit of fruit, but it does have also a touch of that harsh cutting edge that we come to know and expect from whites. Still, that aspect is a bit lower on the scale and this overall is smooth and very refreshing. Chardonnays are capable of overpowering certain dishes, but this one definitely doesn’t stand much chance there, imparting a very nice flavor element to things, but losing most of the fruitiness and not impacting dishes to an excessive extent. It embellishes remarkably well. Frankly, this is simply a brilliant wine, combining the best of both drinkability and lending itself well to cooking. I quite enjoy it so much that this might be my new go-to for keeping a white on hand.

Whites are not rated by the usual criteria as reds, but for right around $10 a bottle, this is simply a stunning value. Overall, it is my current favorite white and yet another feather of the very deserving hat of the Sean Minor winery.

No comments:

Post a Comment