Friday, May 15, 2015

Issue XXV: Prunotto Fiulot Barbera Edition

Prunotto Fiulot Barbera D'Asti



Back when I was first compiling the list, I created several sub-lists of wines to test. One that frequently came up on a few of the “under $20” or sometimes budget wine lists where I was drawing several names was this. Concurrent with my then-tour of the world via bottles of wine, it did, however, take me a bit to get to as it was closer to the $20 mark and my process at the time was to buy at the lower end of the scale first and then get one of the more expensive ones. Now, I had no intention or even passing thought of ever doing a column like this, so I’d occasionally run into the $40 range for something really special, but the higher ones were more one at a time rather than getting a cluster, as I did will the lesser expensive ones.

What I found here was another lively wine from what was fast becoming my overall favorite wine-producing country, Italy, though this was more to the northern part of the country, all the way opposite of my favored region, that being the southern part…at least for reds, that is. Wines from the north tend to be more bitey and that is the case here, though this is a very drinkable red. This tends to be a fairly intense red and a bit deceptive, since it initially feels very light in the mouth.

Airing this one out tends to get a bit pointless as there is not a great difference between 15 minutes and longer. I haven’t tried it directly out of the gate, but I get the impression it probably would be one of those that one could conceivably pull the cork and go. The taste here tends to have elements of berry, but nothing particularly strong and overwhelming. Barbera, as grapes goes, seems to be a milder one and all in all, this can be a quite refreshing wine.

It is, as noted, one of the more expensive entries, comparatively, on this list and usually runs around $18/bottle. It’s another that never seems to come up on SPA and hence, another that comes in at Mixed.

No comments:

Post a Comment